I started into labor Christmas night. We were told that he was sunny side up for my last two appointments. So I knew that the labor could be longer and harder. I slept (0r tried to) with a heating pad on my back that night because it hurt so bad. The next morning I was still having contractions, so I did some laundry and cleaning thinking that we may or may not be going to the hospital, so I better get some things done. I called my mom to let her know what was going on. We waited a couple of more hours and started timing my contractions. Regular at 5 minutes apart. I still wanted to hold out until my mom got up here. I just had a feeling that this would be a long process. About an hour before my mom was supposed to be here, I couldn't handle very much anymore. We left the kids with our neighbors and we were off. At 5 p.m. we checked into the hospital. I was at a one and a half. They monitored me for an hour, and checked again. I was at a 3. They called the on call doctor. (My doctor had the weekend off) She told them to admit me and get me going. So we were off, and hoping for a baby by midnight. The started the petocin, I.V., and the epidural. ( I was so worn out at this point.) I think the I.V. was the most painful part. The contraction monitor never was able to pick up my contractions very well. We had the same problem with both of our other kids. We went through 3 nurses that night. I maintained a 3 for the whole night. One nurse said if they could just break my water, I would go fast, but since it was midnight, we would have to wait until the morning. Then we got another nurse. She informed me that maybe I wasn't in labor, because I wasn't having contractions, the petocin was on full force, and I was still at the 3, so they might send me home. She went to go call the doctor. For that hour, I carefully maintained an odd angle where the monitor would pick up my contractions a little bit. We said a lot of prayers that they would not send us home, and just break my water. An hour later we met the doctor, and they could see that I was having contractions (I could have told them that) and I was at almost a 4. So she broke my water. She said maybe we could finally have a baby in a few hours. An hour later, I was in a lot of pain. They checked me and I was at an 8. Then things started moving, and by the time the doctor came in I was ready to go. Three or four pushes later he was here. This was my longest labor. Kaylee was 8 hours. James was 5 hours. Logan was 37 hours. This recovery process was a little harder on me because of the long labor. We were all worn out. We know his birthday is close to Christmas, but at least it ended up on the 27th and not Christmas night. Now we will just have a few celebrations with Christmas, birthday, and new years all together in one week. We are glad he is here, and he fits so well in our family already.
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Logan's Journey
I started into labor Christmas night. We were told that he was sunny side up for my last two appointments. So I knew that the labor could be longer and harder. I slept (0r tried to) with a heating pad on my back that night because it hurt so bad. The next morning I was still having contractions, so I did some laundry and cleaning thinking that we may or may not be going to the hospital, so I better get some things done. I called my mom to let her know what was going on. We waited a couple of more hours and started timing my contractions. Regular at 5 minutes apart. I still wanted to hold out until my mom got up here. I just had a feeling that this would be a long process. About an hour before my mom was supposed to be here, I couldn't handle very much anymore. We left the kids with our neighbors and we were off. At 5 p.m. we checked into the hospital. I was at a one and a half. They monitored me for an hour, and checked again. I was at a 3. They called the on call doctor. (My doctor had the weekend off) She told them to admit me and get me going. So we were off, and hoping for a baby by midnight. The started the petocin, I.V., and the epidural. ( I was so worn out at this point.) I think the I.V. was the most painful part. The contraction monitor never was able to pick up my contractions very well. We had the same problem with both of our other kids. We went through 3 nurses that night. I maintained a 3 for the whole night. One nurse said if they could just break my water, I would go fast, but since it was midnight, we would have to wait until the morning. Then we got another nurse. She informed me that maybe I wasn't in labor, because I wasn't having contractions, the petocin was on full force, and I was still at the 3, so they might send me home. She went to go call the doctor. For that hour, I carefully maintained an odd angle where the monitor would pick up my contractions a little bit. We said a lot of prayers that they would not send us home, and just break my water. An hour later we met the doctor, and they could see that I was having contractions (I could have told them that) and I was at almost a 4. So she broke my water. She said maybe we could finally have a baby in a few hours. An hour later, I was in a lot of pain. They checked me and I was at an 8. Then things started moving, and by the time the doctor came in I was ready to go. Three or four pushes later he was here. This was my longest labor. Kaylee was 8 hours. James was 5 hours. Logan was 37 hours. This recovery process was a little harder on me because of the long labor. We were all worn out. We know his birthday is close to Christmas, but at least it ended up on the 27th and not Christmas night. Now we will just have a few celebrations with Christmas, birthday, and new years all together in one week. We are glad he is here, and he fits so well in our family already.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment