Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My Daughter the Teacher

The beat up potato

One night I was trying really fast to peel potatoes and get them cooking. Kaylee asked if she could help. I was hesitant. I need to have more patience. Before I could tell her no, she went over and found her chair, brought it back, and asked again. So I figured she could peel one potato while I peeled the others. I got finished and she was still working on her potato. She informed me that she needed to get all of the brown off. She spent 20 minutes on her potato. But she was so determined to finish the job. Finally, she saw me cutting up the other ones and said she wanted to cut up hers too. So I gave her a butter knife because I knew the real knives would've been a real problem. Another five minutes later she had cut off one little slice and then finally let me cut her potato for her. The end result. One poor damaged potato, as seen in the picture above. I was impressed with the peeling. And she tried so hard with cutting the potato. She left battle wounds. She was so proud of herself.
The lesson my daughter taught me. Determination. She didn't give up. But also in the end she asked for help. How often in my life as of the last couple of years have I stood back and truly asked my Heavenly Father for help. Not often enough. I want to keep peeling the potato by myself and cut it myself. Maybe the vegetable represents my pride a little bit. How patiently He waits for me to ask for help. And in the end the result might be slightly different then what I want. A few scratches and scrapes, but still the same end result. Mashed potatoes. Or humility for me. Life is throwing us punches left and right. But I know that He is there just waiting to hear from me, asking Him for help. I know that I have been truly blessed and need to refocus on all of the blessings that I have right in front of me and not worry about all of the stuff that I really honestly don't have control over right now, and turn that over to my Heavenly Father. He has sent me this wonderful 3 year old to remind me to be as a little child and Come Unto Him. One day I hope to be as smart as my daughter.
P.S. I hope Kaylee's bangs start growing in faster. She is still cute though :)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Ann, you're such a good blogger! I need to get on the ball! I love that you post things you're learning, I want to do more of that. It makes me excited to have our baby and all the things I'll get to start learning. I'm sure it will feel more like taking a drink from a fire hydrant at first, but I'm still excited. :) Thanks for calling last night, we'll have to talk again soon! (p.s. Kaylee looks so cute peeling her potato, and James is growing away!!)