Thursday, September 4, 2008

Life Is So Fragile

Val and Mark Imlay


By now, I am sure most everyone has heard about the plane crash that killed 10 people from Cedar City a week and a half ago. A doctor's office group was returning from Moab and the plane crashed. A father and son died. A father and daughter died. Two families lost two family members in an instant. Dallin Ellsworth was 23 and his wife is due with their first baby in a month. Another man had just become a father three months ago. Mandy Johnson got engaged the night before. Each of these dear people that died had touching story. I only knew one of them. Val Imlay. She was my parents age. She used to teach aerobics at her church building years ago that a friend and I went to. Here was this little 100 lb woman dancing to music and trying to teach us all how to keep up with her. I later met her husband, Mark as our mutual friend took the missionary discussions in their house. We ran into each other last year as I was waiting for my Dad to finish running in a fundraiser, and then when Val and Mark came over to our house for my sister's wedding reception that night. Val and Mark were also friends of my parents. Val left a great legacy. I admired her wonderful outlook on life, her spunky personality, her caring nature, her relationship with her husband. They were high school sweethearts. They were always so tender to each other. They are one of the many couples I admire for their marriages. She had three boys, two grandsons, and five brothers. She was surrounded by boys. A beautiful example of how we should live our life. As I attended her viewing and funeral, one thing that struck me is how life can change in an instant, and would I be ready to go. The answer is no. The one thing that I can work on right now is keeping a journal. I have not been the best at this. But my kids need to know about me. My feelings, experiences, etc. need to be written down for my future generations to read. And that is what I think I learned the most. You always here things like live life to the fullest and live as it was your last day, but now I more fully understand what it means. Appreciate what we have, enjoy our spouses and children a little bit more, and life life to the fullest.


For more info on the crash here is a news link.


No comments: